BOSTON- Playing at Terrier Town for the first time since Sept. 4, the Boston University women’s soccer team hosts Navy in their Patriot League home opener on Saturday, Sept. 24. Kick-off is scheduled for 1 p.m.
BU returns to Boston after a four-game road swing, which included wins over UMass and league foes Lafayette. Since the 2020-21 campaign, the Terriers are 4-1-1 in their last six regular season home games against PL opponents.
Navy is on the road for the first time since Sept. 8 and played with a 1-1-1 record outside of Annapolis, Maryland.
- BU capped the road stretch with a 1-0 defeat at Colgate on September 21.
- Guardians Celia Braun and Gretchen Bennet each made a save, but the Raiders scored in the 59th minute to seal the result.
- The Terriers rank in the top five of the Patriot League in goals per game (fifth – 1.1), assists (fourth – nine), shots per game (fourth – 11.4) and total number of shots on goal (third – 50).
- BU continue to pace the league with 7.3 corner kicks per game, which is now the 15th best mark in Division I.
- Since the duo made their collegiate debut at the start of the 2021 season, Bennett and Braun have played the same game in 25 games.
- In those contests, they combined for a 1.73 goals-against average and a .702 save percentage.
- After being shut out in the 2022 home opener, BU have scored five goals in their last three matches at Nickerson Field.
- Of those five goals, junior Abigail McNulty played a role in the last three, registering a goal and two assists.
- McNulty’s four points at home this season lead the Terriers, followed by two each for the senior redshirt Amy ThompsonSenior Sophia Woodlandsecond Morgan Faganand freshman Giulianna Gianino.
- The Navy is 4-3-3 on the year and 1-1 in conference.
- The Mids beat defending champion Bucknell 4-0 in their PL lidlifter, then fell to Loyola Maryland 1-0 on September 21.
- Navy won four of the five weekly Patriot League awards this week, including Amanda Graziano (offensive player), Jenna Daunt (midfielder), Mattie Gallagher (goalkeeper) and Heaven Marlee (rookie).
- Graziano paces the Mids with five assists and seven points this year, followed by Tori Liesen with five points. Playing the most minutes in goal, Gallagher has a 0.67 goals-against average and .878 save percentage.
- Navy was the preseason favorite in the 2022 Patriot League preseason poll, garnering seven first-place votes and a league-high 145 points.
- Last year, the Mids went 6-2-1 in the league and 11-6-3 overall, winning the No. 2 seed in the Patriot League tournament and reaching the semi-finals.
- Saturday marks the 12th all-time meeting between BU and Navy in a streak that began when the Terriers joined the Patriot League in 2013.
- BU sports an 8-3 advantage in the rivalry. However, the two teams have traded wins and losses in the last four games.
- The Terriers are 3-0 at home against the Mids. Saturday will be the first game between the teams at Nickerson Field since 2018.
- In the last game on September 25, 2021, BU took the win at Annapolis, 3-1.
- McNulty totaled three points, while Thompson and Jenna Oldham also found the back of the net. Bennett and Braun combined for five saves.
- BU hosts Lehigh at Terrier Town on Saturday (October 1) for a 1 p.m. kick-off. The game serves as an alumni day and will recognize former BU head coach Nancy Feldman’s 27 years of dedication to the program.