Ithaca Men’s Soccer Ties Lycoming 1-1 After Late Game Heroism

ITHACA, NY – The Ithaca College men’s soccer team rounded out its early-season non-conference roster by hosting the Lycoming Warriors Tuesday night at Higgins Stadium. The Bombers tied the Warriors 1-1 after a superb goal which was scored with just six seconds left and was netted by jackson fox. The Bombers’ record is 1-4-2 this season while Lycoming drops to 3-1-4.

Junior Ian Whitfield made his debut in goal after a draw in their 1-0 win over SUNY Brockport on September 16. Whitfield made 6 saves on his return to the field as the Bombers were outscored 10-9 in the tie.

The game opened at a slow pace, with neither team having strong possession in either attacking third of the field. The game’s first scoring chance came from a junior Joe Bamfo header from a free kick, which was saved by Whitfield in the 10th minute.

Lycoming found another scoring chance in the 21st minute on a junior Dylan Sloan header for the Warriors’ second shot of the night and second total shot of the game. The Bombers recorded their first right-leg shot from the senior Brendan Lebitschwhistling above the crossbar.

Lycoming would find another scoring chance in the 31st minute, which was taken by junior midfielder Christian Barnes who was denied by a sprawling save from Whitfield to keep the game scoreless. 10 minutes later freshman Andrew Kusek would find a great scoring chance for the Bombers but was denied by a sliding block attempt by the Warriors to save just one shot on goal for Ithaca.

The second half opened on a much stronger note for the Bombers, as they had two glorious scoring chances that were stopped in front of the Warriors net. Lycoming would follow with emphatic luck with freshman Thomas Geyser kicking one with his left foot, but he was eventually stopped on a diving catch from Whitfield.

Lycoming finally opened the scoring in the 67th minute with a goal from junior Reuben Devaney that came from the rebound from a diving save from Whitfield. The Bombers almost equalized in the 72nd minute when they were seniors Jack McCarthy sent his free kick just above the crossbar.

Lycoming would have two more scoring chances to put the game aside in the 81st minute, but Whitfield made two consecutive diving saves to keep it 1-0. A minute later, the Bombers would look great to tie the game, but junior Thaib Abidi sent the ball just over the net, which kept the Warriors in the lead.

The Bombers scored in the final seconds of the game, when jackson fox would find the back of the net with six seconds on the clock, to tie the game 1-1.

The Bombers open Liberty League play on Saturday, Sept. 24 as they host Clarkson University at 2 p.m. on Carp Wood Field.

Leave a Reply